Chia, also known as Salvia hispanica, is a type of flowering plant in the mint family whose seeds have many benefits. Chia is an ancient Mayan word meaning strength and is native to Mexico and Guatemala. Its’ many benefits include:
- It’s high in omega-3 fatty acids. Two tablespoons of chia provide 4,915 mg of omega-3 fatty acids.
- High in protein, providing 4 grams in two tablespoons.
- It’s also high in calcium, meeting 18% of your daily value. This is great for vegans, giving them an alternate calcium source.
- Chia is also good for bone health because it also contains magnesium and phosphorus.
- It’s high in antioxidants, fiber and iron.
Most of all, it’s very easy to add to foods and not very expensive. Add a couple spoonfuls to your yogurt, smoothie, or oatmeal. Chia can also be added to baked goods. A little goes a long way!