Introduced in 1978 as a cheap replacement for sucrose (table sugar), HFCS has contributed toward an array of health problems ever since. HFCS consists of 55% fructose (fruit sugar), 42% glucose and 3% other carbohydrates. This unnatural, man-made sweetener is used primarily in sodas and fruit-flavored drinks however, I’ve even seen it in chicken salad. This is an empty source of calories that is toxic to the brain and body. As the use of HFCS increases, so does the rate of obesity and other health-related problems. Below are some of the health problems caused by HFCS:
- Obesity – excess sugar calories get stored as fat.
- Type 2 Diabetes – the rate of diabetes literally doubled between 1997 e 2007.
- Brain Damage – HFCS contains mercury, a heavy metal that is toxic to the brain.
- Heart Disease – HFCS contributes to plaque build up and narrowing of the arteries.
- Liver Damage – promotes unnatural fat deposits in the liver, also thought to contribute to fatty liver.
- GMO – HFCS contains genetically modified organisms since it contains corn.
HFCS should be avoided like the plague. Read food labels carefully. The Corn Refiners Association has been trying to change the name, high fructose corn syrup so they can hide it from the public. Luckily, the FDA said no to this however, they do list HFCS under other names anyway, including:
- corn syrup
- crystalline fructose
- dahlia syrup
- fruit fructose
- glucose syrup
- glucose/fructose syrup
- maize syrup
- tapioca syrup
Canadians refer to it as glucose-fructose and in Europe, it’s called isoglucose.
For a list of foods containing HFCS, click here.
1) Jospeh Mercola, M.D.
2) Grain Brain, 2013, by David Perlmutter, M.D.
3) Bray, G.A., Nielsen, S.J., and B.M. Popkin. 2004. Consumption of high-fructose corn syrup in beverages may play a role in the epidemic of obesity. Am J Clin Nutr. 79(4):537-43. Review.
4) Jennifer K. Nelson R.D.,L.D. What is high-fructose corn syrup? What are the health concerns? Mayo Clinic. 2012 September 27.
5) The Health Sciences Institute.